Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, June 15, 2015

Tales From The Lift And More: I Know You Are Staring And Judging



image source

It happens almost all the time. And the worst part is that I know, maybe. So it is not another of those lift tales that is just unique to my building, I am sure it is something most women and young girls can associate with.

So whenever I enter the lift, I make it a point to not look around and see who all is there. I am generally not interested. If there is someone I know, they always give me a shoutout. So that's that.

Standing in a corner, with my headphones in place, and most likely a gum in my mouth, I always try to be as quiet and as inconspicuous as possible, because I hate it when people look at me, or rather, stare. So even if I am standing quietly, minding my own songs and music, or just staring like a zombie at the numbers flashing through the lift screen, the passengers invariably take a look. At the tattoos first of all. Really? It's still such a big deal? Why? I have encountered this sudden urge of strangers, mostly Indian male type age group and mentality here, who have been really really interested in knowing more about my tattoos (I am sure they do the same with any woman they come across who has a tattoo!).

And once they start checking out the tattoo, it doesn't take them too long to check out the person who's wearing the tattoo....

And the worst as well as the fun part is - I always give them the stare back...I always end up looking them up and down, making it obvious to them that I am staring. And not in a nice way. And sometimes, I have also raised my eyebrow, asking without asking - 'what do you want'

And they have stopped then.

I sometimes feel we are progressing somewhere, and I am sometimes sure that that progress for some is strictly going to the gutters....cheerios to them there then.....

- Debolina Raja Gupta

******************************************
And like I always believe in and say:
"Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children" - MJ

Debolina Raja Gupta