Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, December 28, 2014

When Paper And Pen Made Love

For your practice writing sessions: 365 creative writing prompts, one for each day of the year.


image source



I read an ad in the paper today. I’ve been watching their new set of ads on TV for a while now, and they are quite charming. This one was the one that grabbed the eyeballs for me.

It had to do with the concept of pen on paper.

Isn’t that charming? Well, if you know what that means that is.

Once upon a time there was a magic bond, a bond that grew between a rough paper and that pen. No, not just any pen you see. This paper and pen romance was more than just a scratch here and there, or a quick getaway. It was more classy and erotic.

There was once upon a time a time when stories were told on paper, not on a screen. The texture of the paper would be felt within your fingers. It couldn’t be too soft or the see-through variety, not much class in those ones. 

What I was looking for was some roughness, some coarseness
, a rough edge to an otherwise adjusting paper, one that would listen to all I had to say, soak it up and keep it within. It couldn’t be one of those easily available ones. What I was looking for was permanence, something that would make me want to spend more time on it, with it. Something that would make me want to stay.

You see, it had to be perfect.

I took time to select my paper.

And I took equally long to select my pens.

The nibs had to be shiny. They had to sparkle and shine with the thoughts they would put across. I couldn’t be using any of those ball-point varieties that were the easiest route out. No, sorry. What may be working for everyone else out there couldn’t do it for me. I wasn’t allowed to touch a ball pen. That would be demeaning. That would be degrading the entire affair, nah, the relationship. My pen had to be special. It had to have character, class, substance. It had to have some weight.

Bringing together the pen and paper affair was something I loved. There were many evenings spent, sitting down and writing long cursive letters to family staying far away. Thank you cards, birthday and other greetings, summer vacation rambles, they all found their story in these pen and paper affairs.

And I loved the ink.

The flow of ink on the paper with the pen. Its mysterious designs as it set about making the cursives. The s’s and the a’s and the d’s. The dots and the cross of the I’s and the t’s. It had to be perfect.

Then came the screen. The one that changed the game. Where invitations and love notes and summer rambles were post-mortemed into a post-script of a line or few. Where everything was in txt lingo, not language.

The death of the language. The death of those evenings. The death of an affair.

I will bring it back. At least to me. At least to those few of mine who are still ready for it.


- Debolina Raja Gupta
************************************
And like I always believe in and say:
"Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children" - MJ

Debolina Raja Gupta