Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Where's the News?

image source


 I've always been a newspaper person. For as long as I can remember, I've loved waking up in the morning and reading my paper over a cup of tea, or years back, a glass of chocolate milk. In fact, one of my very first pictures clicked when I was about 1nhalf years of age was me sitting with a newspaper sprawled open in front of me, trying to find out the letter A. Yes, I've loved the newspaper that long.

For me, waking up and reading the newspaper has been an essential daily ritual. If I haven't read it, there's the sense of something missing through the day. With time, I sometimes don't get the chance to read it in the mornings anymore, and I end up reading it at night, or the evening. But that's still not as special as sitting and leafing through it in the morning.


These days, my hubby has taken to read the newspaper online, either on his I-Pad or on his laptop screen. And so does most of the world. But me, I still like doing it the old-fashioned way.

For me, there's something still magical about turning those pages, reading through the font, mulling over the editorials, reading the discussions, the literature and arts section, and news in all. Of course news these days is nothing different than the same killing and terror and destruction and abuse, but still, I do read it.

Today, as I was finishing up a deadline, I happened to glance across the newspaper beside me. And I realised, it hardly looked like a newspaper anymore. I mean, given the fact that I have to wade through so many pages of advertisements to reach the actual 'news'paper, I'd rather it be called an 'ad'paper and sold separately.

I know all about sponsors and making money and all that.......But I surely don't like how newspapers are being taken over by these ad spaces and turned into a charmless caricature of each other. I absolutely don't like it.

These were of just my thoughts...of course (as the name of the blog suggests too) ;-) Do tell me what you feel.

And recently, I came upon some lovely lines in a book called 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn. I'll soon share it here as soon as I link it up on my book blog.

Till then....read on :-)

- Debolina Raja Gupta

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
And like I always believe in and say:
"Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children" - MJ

Debolina Raja Gupta