Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Please Do Not Drink And Drive..Life Is Precious - Yours, And Others' Too



Just about an hour ago, around 01:30 in the night, I was working on my laptop. Everyone in the house had gone to sleep and it was really really quiet and peaceful in a way...what with the breeze coming in from the sea and the sky dotted with a few stars here and there...

I was looking out of the balcony once in a while at the sky, taking in the cool breeze on my face, taking in a nice fresh breath, and feeling relaxed....

Up here on the 23rd floor it was really quite calm...

Till there was this huge sound of a crash...I immediately knew from past experiences what this sound meant (I live on the Mumbai-Pune highway and I have witnessed many accidents right in front of my house). Without even wasting a second, I ran out to the balcony. By the time I reached there, the sound of the biker screaming and writhing in pain had already climbed up all the 23 floors and reached my ears...and pierced my heart...It was a shout I dont think I will ever forget...believe me, its still haunting me...

The bike was lying on the side of the highway and at first I could not even see the man. Then I saw this body in a light-coloured shirt lying twisted at the side of the road. He had been flung quite a distance from the spot where the twisted bike now lay. Of course there was no helmet. Immediately a few people began rushing out to him - mostly the night watchmen of our and the adjoining buildings, plus a few cars and bikers started stopping on the highway....

I thought they would take him to the hospital right away. But even after about ten minutes, no one was doing anything rather than talking amongst themselves and dialing numbers and taking down the bike's license plate number. I decided it could get late for the injured man and rushed down with my husband, to take him to the hospital if needed.

Some other people took him to the hospital even as we reached downstairs. We found out from the people there that the man was drunk, that he was not even wearing a helmet !!!! Nothing unbelievable... coz so many of you always drink n drive and nothing happens...isnt it?

My husband was extremely disgusted at the injured man...he thought it served him right, that a person who cannot his and others' life should somehow get punished at least once...maybe correct... but my thoughts were also with the man's family...who was waiting for him at home? Was he the young son of old parents? Was he the young husband of a new bride? Was he the loving father of a toddler? Who all were going to panic and run about and cry out hearing about his accident? Didn't he have anyone precious at home who he wanted to go back to safe and sound? I am still wondering about the scene when his family gets that one call telling them about the accident.. I hope and pray that he lives...

Only the other day I was in an auto with my three-year-old. The driver was an elderly man, careful and correct in his driving. Suddenly this speeding car came out of the other side, trying to speed away through a signal, and almost came crashing into us, its tires screeching...believe me, we were only a scratch away from a fatal collision....even though we were careful and correct, someone who does not value life that much was out there, almost leading us to a collision....thankfully we were not hurt....but not everyone is so lucky..

Life is precious...really.....and think about those who will receive that call if ever such a situation arises...please people...if you really love your family, do be a little responsible...

And like I always believe in and say:
"Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children" - MJ

Debolina Raja Gupta